Dog Raisin Toxicity Calculator – Grapes, Quantities & FAQ

Share this post with friends!

Knowing a thing or two about the dog raisin toxicity calculator can keep your pup safe. It is because veterinarians have discovered that eating grapes and raisins is one of the reasons for kidney failure in dogs. They say that all canines, regardless of breed, gender, or age, can fall victim to its toxicity.

Thus, you must be aware of the signs and symptoms of raisin toxicity in dogs. It is even better if you know what to do during these cases. Being an informed dog parent can help save the life of your pet.

Grape Toxicity in Dogs

Dog poisoning can happen after the consumption of grape varieties. Foods and drinks containing grapes and raisins have harmful effects on canines. However, some dogs may not be as disturbed as other pets that ingested the fruit. It is because the dog grape toxicity level can depend on the weight and size of an animal.

Are Grapes Toxic for Dogs?

All grapes, whether red or green, commercial or homegrown, seeded or seedless, have harmful effects on canines. It includes food varieties that contain the fruit. Further, even a single grape can kill a puppy.

As a rule of thumb, one to two grapes are harmful to a dog weighing ten pounds. And, for dogs weighing 20 pounds or heavier, three to four pieces can already be life-threatening. Therefore, to be sure, never give your pet even just one part of a grape. So, next time you want to give your pet a treat, opt for a carrot stick or sweet potato instead.

Are Raisins Toxic for Dogs?

Raisins are dried grapes. Therefore, they are also lethal to dogs. Raisins are more concentrated than grapes. Consequently, it will need fewer of them to hurt your pets. In general, below are the amounts of raisins that can cause harm to various dog sizes.

  • 0.7 ounces for dogs weighing 10 pounds
  • 1.4 ounces for dogs weighing 20 pounds
  • 2.1 ounces for dogs weighing 30 pounds
  • 2.8 ounces for dogs weighing 40 pounds or heavier

But remember, toxicity level effects may vary from one dog to another. The main idea is that raisins have the same toxicity results in dogs as grapes. Therefore, never let your beloved pup munch even a single raisin. Also, any food that contains raisins like cereal, bread, or granola bars may pose the same risk.

Is Grape Juice Toxic for Dogs?

Giving your dog grape juice can never be a good idea. Any drink, for that matter, that contains grapes is hazardous to your pet. Moreover, giving your dog any type of commercial fruit juices is not advisable. Most of the fruit juices sold commercially contain lots of sugars, artificial colors, and preservatives that are harmful to dogs.

Instead, you can give them fresh apples, bananas, pears, strawberries, and other healthy fruits. But, never give them grapes, cherries, stone fruits, and other citrus fruits that can upset their stomach.

Is Wine Safe For Dogs?

You should never give any alcoholic beverages to your dogs or any of your pets. Since wine contains grapes, you must keep this alcoholic drink as far as possible from your pup. Records show that the lowest amount that caused kidney failures in canines is 0.3 ounces of grapes per pound of body weight. Besides, wine, beer, and all other liquors contain ethanol that can cause intoxication to both humans and animals.

Alcoholic beverages are not safe for dogs!

Why are Raisins Toxic to Dogs?

As of this time, no one precisely knows why dog raisin toxicity exists. One of the suspects is the water-soluble substance found in this fruit, but not in the seed. On the other hand, some researchers believe that mycotoxin is the cause. It is a toxic substance created by a fungus or a mold.

Meanwhile, others suspect that the toxicity comes from salicylate that grapes naturally have. The synthetically produced salicylate can also occur in aspirin, toothpaste, and food preservatives. Also, it is one of the known causes of the decrease in blood flow to kidneys.

However, the actual ingredient of grapes that is toxic to dogs remains to be a mystery. Pet owners still keep asking why grapes are harmful to their fur babies, but not to humans. Therefore, it is still best to ensure that your dogs do not ingest any amount of this fruit.

What are the Signs of Grape Poisoning in Dogs?

Unluckily, the most common symptoms of grape or raisin toxicity in dogs are almost similar to ordinary kidney failure. Most veterinarians will base their diagnosis on the food regimen of your dog, especially grape, raisin, and currant history intake. Also, the presence of grape or raisin bits and pieces in your dog’s vomit can serve as a basis.

It is similarly possible that your vet will recommend diagnostic tests on your dogs. These tests may include complete blood count (CBC), a serum biochemistry profile, and a urinalysis. The results of these tests can help in the assessment of the seriousness of kidney damage. Moreover, it ascertains whether your dog may recover or not.

Nonetheless, the following are the common early symptoms that your puppy is suffering from grape or raisin poisoning:

  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Loss of appetite
  • Weakness or lethargy
  • Abdominal pain
  • Dehydration
  • Oliguria or passing a small amount of urine
  • Anuria or complete cessation of urine
  • Unpleasant breath
  • Oral ulcers
  • Tremors and seizures
  • Coma

If any or a combination of the above symptoms, make sure to bring your pet to the veterinarian immediately. It is still wise to rely on professionals in determining your dog’s raisin toxicity.

How is Grape or Raisin Toxicity Treated in Dogs?

The sooner that raisin toxicity on your dog is diagnosed, the better. The earlier your vet can work on the treatment, the higher the chances of preventing or minimizing kidney damage. It is most likely that the vet will decontaminate your pup straight away by making it vomit using activated charcoal. The primary goal is to block the absorption of toxins and minimize damage to the kidneys.

Other treatments may also be utilized to maintain blood flow to the kidney and control the blood pressure. Typically, dogs get the intravenous fluids for 24 to 48 hours after poison ingestion. Often, the tests are repeated, and the raisin toxicity on your dog will still be monitored even after going home.

There is still no known antidote to grape and raisin poisoning. Thus, if you suspect that your dog ingested one, contact your veterinarian or the animal poison control service near you instantly. Don’t take any chances when it comes to your pet’s health.

How to Induce Vomit in a Dog Once They Ate Grapes?

First and foremost, never induce vomiting to your beloved pet yourself. Why? Because you can cause more harm if you do not know how to do it properly. At the early sign of poisoning, call your veterinarian or nearest animal poison control center immediately.

The vet will typically give your dog an injection to cause vomiting. Activated charcoal can also be given to constraint the absorption of the poison. Further, intravenous fluids will be used to flush out the raisin toxicity and minimize damage to the kidney. So don’t merely rely on the information you get from the internet to do this delicate procedure. Leave it to the professionals.


Since raisins are more concentrated than fresh grapes, the raisin toxicity count may be different. Here are some tips in determining how much can be dangerous to prevent your pets from suffering.

How Many Raisins in an Ounce?

There are about 60 raisins in a one-ounce, or equivalent to 28 grams. Simply put, five fresh grapes are almost equal to roughly three raisins.

How Many Raisins in 100 Grams?

There are approximately 200 raisins in one gram, depending on the size of the raisins. However, to get the most accurate measurement, it is wise to use a digital food scale that provides results in grams.

You must keep all grapes, raisins, and other foods containing this fruit away from your dogs at all times. In case your pet accidentally eats them, call your vet immediately. Finally, always take note of what your pup ingests to determine any sign of raisin toxicity in dogs.


0 thoughts

Leave a Reply